Profile for Phil Davies
Phil is best known as one of Wales’ most capped rugby union forwards. He had a 14 year playing career, selected for the British Lions, captaining of Wales, gaining 46 caps, and over 350 games for Llanelli. A second career in professional Rugby Union as a coach and Director of Rugby resulting in an extensive knowledge and understanding of the business of the game. An experienced and respected Director of Rugby with a proven track record of nurturing talent, delivering on objectives and making hard decisions in a pressurised environment. An enthusiastic, loyal manager and leader of people with strong core values, innovative thinking and real energy and commitment for what he is doing.
Transfer of Knowledge From A Sporting Arena to a Business Arena
Phil’s real experience of people development, leadership coaching and team performance in a high pressured environment has powerful lessons for business leaders. The issues encountered with leadership and team performance are common to both sport and business. With Phil’s amiable charismatic style he is able to convey the lessons learnt during his exceptional sporting career and skilfully communicate how these can be transferred to a business environment.
He has already encountered and found solutions for many of the problems you may currently be experiencing. Phil has experience, both in the UK and overseas, of designing, presenting and delivering, team building, leadership and management development programmes. He specialises in the areas of leadership coaching and team performance looking at aspects such as team dynamics, team people and team skills. He has worked with a wide range of clients from SME’s to multi-nationals. Companies worked with include Alstom and Exxon Mobil where he focused on leadership communication skills, effective leadership coaching and team dynamics.
Llanelli Scarlets – Director of Rugby 2006 – 2008
- Responsible for the complete management of the Scarlet’s Rugby Department, including the recruitment of players and staff, the development of culture and values, and delivering on objectives in line with the strategic plan.
- Accountable for the planning and execution of all operational support to the Scarlet’s Rugby Region. This involved managing key internal relationships, leadership and coaching of staff and players, whilst keeping prudent financial accounts within the Annual Business plan. Drawing up, implementing and maintaining appraisals and KPI’s for staff.
- Responsible for supporting the Chief Executive in ensuring that strategies and objectives were delivered both on and off the pitch and communicated both internally and externally.
Leeds RFC – Director of Rugby 1996 – 2006
- Responsible for building a rugby structure that took the club from national league 4 to the premiership & Heineken Cup rugby, winning the Powergen Cup final in 2005.
- Helped develop the world’s first Rugby Union and League partnership with Leeds Rhinos.
- Accountable for the planning and execution of a strategic development plan for the identification, recruitment and development of elite rugby athletes at Leeds from 14 years old to international level.
- Set up, developed and delivered the Leeds Academy, rated as one of the best in the premiership.
- Appointed to the Leeds Rugby Union Board of Directors in 2002.
- Wales Captain 1989
- Wales Vice Captain 1989 & 1991 World Cup
- Wales – 46 caps – 1985 -1995
- Wales World Cup 1987 & 1991
Club Achievements – Llanelli 1982-1996
- Club captain for 5 consecutive seasons (6 in all)
- Over 350 games for the club
- Played in 7 Cup Finals – 4 as Captain
- Merit table winners – 1989 – Captain
- Heineken League winners 1992/93 – v-cap
- Player of the Year Award – 1990, 1992 & 1993
- Supporters Player of the Year – 1990 & 1992
- 1989 Selected for the British Lions
- Welsh Player of the Year 1989
- Welsh Forward of the Year 1989 & 1991
- Barbarians 1985-1990 (Captain in 1990)
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE GAINED INCLUDES:
Strategic Planning and Organisational Accountability
- Accountable for establishing a culture, environment and philosophy conducive to total alignment by all staff and players.
- Responsible for executing & auditing plans in line with organisational objectives and being accountable for their delivery.
- Responsible for identifying, developing and maximising potential talent and team performance
- Responsible for development of player talent ID pathways and squad succession planning pyramids.
- Research and development of technical, tactical, mental and physical aspects inside and outside rugby to maintain a position at the cutting edge of the sport.
- Utilise innovative leadership coaching and team thinking in addition to creative problem solving to optimise performance.
- Development of player and team analysis programme
- Responsible for team leadership
Leadership and Management
- Responsible for the planning of a significant change strategy and accountable for its implementation.
- Accountable for recruiting, leading and managing a large team with clear direction,leadership skill assessment, development, motivation and discipline.
- Ensure teams are appraised with effective coaching and clearly defined goals for continued professional development.
- Accountable for planning and implementing regional discipline & empowerment strategy within the philosophy and culture of the squad.
- Ensure that all stakeholders ultimately enjoy coming to work and feel aligned to the organisation.
- Successful throughout in nurturing team spirit, team motivation, team skills and achieving objectives through collective effort with the aim of maximising team performance.
- Responsible for maintaining budgets in excess of £3 million and having accountability for their management.
- Responsible for briefing the CEO of timely financial information and appraising of all elements, variances and events as they occur which may impact upon the budget.
- Responsible for assembling the rugby department budget and ensuring spending is in line with forecast.
- Responsible for negotiating player and staff contracts with either individuals or representatives and ensuring packages are in line with market value and budgetary parameters, based around a contractual pyramid structure.
Communication and Public Relations
- Responsible for weekly liaison with the media involving personal briefings, presentations and interviews, ensuring communication is proactive, maintaining high, positive regional / club media profile.
- Responsible for presenting regularly to large internal and external audiences up to board level.
- Responsible for regular verbal and written reports to CEO and Board.
- Responsible for regularly chairing executive meetings and presenting to a variety of stakeholders.
- All presentations utilise the most modern multi media aids.
Phil is a very experienced individual with practical experience in the fields of leadership coaching and team performance to make a difference in your organsiation. Give us a call now to find out how Call of the Wild can help you.