Public Services Outdoor and Developmental Courses For Schools and Colleges
Outdoor Activity, Sport and Personal Development Units in Support of Uniformed Public Service Courses
Multi-award winning Call of the Wild Ltd have expertise in Public Service and Outdoor Adventure/Sport qualifications such as BTEC HND diplomas and certificates. We have experience of designing and delivering the practical outdoor activity elements required by schools and colleges to meet the relevant curriculum requirements. This can take the form of land-based and water-based adventurous activities in addition to developing leadership, team working, communication and problem solving skills.
In addition to the chance to experience activities such as canyoning, caving and climbing we focus on giving the students a real world insight into a career within the uniformed services. We concentrate on the skills the students will need in the workplace.
Why Are We Different
Where our public service courses differ from all others is that we don’t just look at developing the skills of individuals we look at developing the whole person. We do this by using our psychometric profiling tool which is a measure of knowledge, attitude and personality traits. This will help students understand how they and their future colleagues perform they way they do in the workplace. It helps them:-
- Gain an understanding of themselves and their preferred behaviours – Improved self-awareness important for leadership skills
- Gain a greater understanding of others – Important for team working
It focuses on 4 main areas:-
- Confidence – Self-belief and confidence to succeed, self-confidence and interpersonal skills
- Commitment – Ability to carry out jobs irrespective of problems/obstacles
- Control – Life control and how confident they are about dealing with multiple tasks
- Challenge – Extent to which they perceive problems as opportunities or threats
For a full list of BTEC and Other Courses that may be suitable for our public service intervention click here
“A huge thank you to all of the team that made our residential such a success. I have had a debrief with all of the students and without exception, all agreed that the week was extremely well organised and that all the staff were great. Every one thought that the course content was good, met our objectives, rewarding for the students and the activities were really fun.” Dave Girling, Head of Sports & Leisure, Colchester College
What Our Clients Say About Us
Barking & Dagenham College
Video Showing Our Canyoning and Caving Activities
Who Are Call of the Wild
Multi-award winning Call of the Wild are licensed with the Adventure Activities Licensing Service. We have extensive experience of delivering outdoor activities to children and young people in schools and colleges. We are an independently owned private company based in the Brecon Beacons National Park, the nearest wilderness National Park to London. We have a proven track record for delivering safe, value for more money edventure-based experiential learning programmes involving activities such as caving, climbing and gorge walking.
We can arrange everything for you from single days through to full residentials using our two centres in the Brecon Beacons. We take the hassle out of arranging the trip!
Use our experience to maximise yours!
Why Work With Call of the Wild
- Multi-award winning company
- Based in the nearest wilderness National Park to London and the South East – the Brecon Beacons
- We have our own outdoor activity residential centre
- Personal approach with our own staff and resources to ensure value for money and a quality experience
- All inclusive packages with no hidden extras
- Accessible being just 20 minutes off the M4 and close to mainline train stations – Reduced travel time and cost
- Former and current uniformed public service staff give a real world focus to our programmes
- Range of land and water based adventurous activities – Britain’s busiest provider of canyoning!
- Safety is of paramount importance – AALS licensed, full liability insurance, full risk assessments
- Develop not just the skills but also the knowledge and the person
“I thoroughly enjoyed the course and was hugely impressed by the expertise of all the leaders. Their assessment of risks and attention to safety was always first class, as was their local knowledge and their energy and attention did not diminish for the whole duration of the course. As a dispassionate and critical observer I was greatly impressed. As a participant, I must say I had a whale of a time.” Huw Irranca-Davies, Course Director, HND Outdoor Activities, Swansea Institute of Higher Education (Now Swansea Metropolitan University)
Video of Climbing with Call of the Wild
Monday – Psychometric testing, team challenges,
Tuesday – Expedition and overnight camping
Wednesday – Canyoning and climbing
Thursday – Caving and team tasks
Friday – Review and personal development diaries
Cost of the sample programme above:-
Guide price (peak season) £288 pp plus £31pp for the psychometric profiling (Plus VAT). Actual cost depends on the agreed programme, groups numbers and time of year.
Duration of a programme can be flexible and based on your specific needs. These can be single days, weekends and full residential weeks as above.
To give you an idea of the type of outdoor adventurous activities available they could include canyoning, caving, climbing, mountain walking, gorge walking, kayaking, canoeing, raft building, map and compass work, navigation, expedition skills, team working, team challenges, impact of and sustainability in outdoor activities
“What can I say…We had a brilliant time. Our staff were all amazed at how much time the instructors were prepared to give – other centres have been restricted by staff wanting to clock off” Nicola Thorp, Lecturer, 6th Form PE Residential, Cedars School