Call of the Wild for Puffin Produce
Client – Puffin Produce Ltd
Focus – Work with the company’s Senior Leadership Team to identify and create a vision and a supporting set of values and behaviours across Puffin Produce that will underpin the future success, growth and culture of Puffin
Objectives – The project had three distinct parts to it 1) Employee Consultation process, 2) Strategic creation of the values following this period, 3) Cascade the new vision and embed values across the company with all employees
Delegate Number – Senior Leadership Team = 10, Middle Managers = 18, Employees = 50
Venue – Puffin Produce Head Office and local hotel and presentation venue
Puffin Produce have been rapidly expanding and growing their successful business for some time. They approached a number of high profile training companies and chose Call of the Wild to partner them in a significant piece of work to identify and articulate their core values and vision, and to engage the whole workforce in the process. There was also an expectation to then support managers in rolling out and embedding these agreed behaviours to all staff across the company. This project was expected to be 12-18 months of work and support.
Whole programme objectives:-.
Focus Senior Leaders on identifying a core set of values and a vision. To create an effective employee engagement process for gathering feedback and opinion on the company and its values, and to support middle and first line managers to embed and roll out the values into everyday work life and the language at Puffin. Areas to be developed were:-
- Leading the business- setting the direction and vision of the business
- Employee Engagement and consultation – communicating with the workforce though face- to -face and online methods to capture opinion and feeling towards the business
- Leading people – team leadership, people performance in relation to embedding values and language
- Managing self – Self- motivation to engage in the values process
When working with middle managers the objectives for the process were;-
- Increase awareness of the new Puffin Produce values and behaviours amongst the line manager and influencers across the organisation.
- To ensure understanding of the rationale for creating these values and behaviours, the process and the plans to embed them.
- To enable participants to link the new values and behaviours to their own personal drives and ambitions
- To enable participants to examine and communicate how the values and behaviours help them to deliver their day-to-day work.
- To develop the skills and confidence of the participants to cascade information on both the values and behaviours, and also their practical application to the rest of the workforce
- To help the participants articulate the longer goals for embedding the values and behaviours and aspiration for company Puffin Produce wants to become.
Initially we spent a few days working with the senior team to scope out the company’s vision and then we worked with Puffin Produce to create and send out an employee engagement survey to consult with everyone across the different functions of the firm.
We also supported the senior team to have direct consultation surgeries with the workforce to gather feedback and ideas. Leading on from this we worked with the senior team to focus on finalising a set of behavioural values under three main areas to underpin this vision. We then helped Puffin Produce senior leaders roll this out to all employees through active engagement and workshop sessions with middle managers to support them in embedding the values into everyday work life, language and appraisals.
The programme required senior leaders to challenge their thinking, to re-evaluate their leadership styles and approach as a team and to ensure they included and communicated with their whole workforce effectively to design the right values for the company. These values had to hold up even in times of financial or business stresses and be honest, consistent and truly represent the behaviours of Puffin Produce.
The senior team had to consider their own strengths direction and performance as a team and as individuals in that team. Whilst each phase and challenge was reviewed upon completion, the senior team considered the elements of leadership and skills required to identify the vision and and engage the workforce in creating the values.