Graduate Recruitment, Placements, Training and Internships
In these difficult economic times businesses are always looking for innovative and cost effective means of recruiting new staff and introducing creativity into companies. This is why many UK companies are utilising graduate recruitment and internship schemes available in the UK.
There are many such schemes available in the UK which aim to support the deployment, development and retention of graduates’ high level skills, knowledge and innovative potential for businesses.
Your business could benefit from offering work experience to a student or graduate, take advantage of the cash support for staff training, recruit a student or graduate through a work placement or advertise a vacancy free of charge.
An Example of a Scheme from the West Midlands
Graduate Advantage offers FREE recruitment services to small and medium sized (SME) businesses across the West Midlands.Internships can vary in length from short projects to longer term roles (maximum of 12 months) and come in a variety of flavours including paid and voluntary.
To assist an SME with finding their graduate intern we offer a number of services including:
- FREE Payroll and HR Service
- Paid internships
- Voluntary internships
They can find you graduates with skills in areas including: Marketing, Business, IT, Science, Design and Engineering as well as enthusiasm and a genuine desire to gain experience. They have had graduates complete internships in all business sectors with projects including:
- developing new products
- researching new markets and product lines
- diversifying your customer base
- implementing a business development plan
- designing and launching a new website
- analysis of production line wastage
- assisting in the preparation of press releases and desk research
- supporting the organiser of projects and events
- supporting the writing of engaging company literature and website
Interested? What Help is Available to Employers
1. Graduate Talent Pool
Graduate Talent Pool is a new service, designed to help match the skills businesses require with those offered by new and recent graduates. On this website you can advertise internship opportunities for free, directly to graduates. You can also register up to 10 sifting questions so that only the most suitable graduates apply for your vacancies.
2. Regional Assistance
East of England
Graduate East England
Helping Graduates into Work
South of England
Graduate Jobs South
3. Other Help and Advice
- Business Link provides advice on public funding support for businesses. It is a free service, open to all by phone (0845 600 9006), online or face-to-face at local branches.
- Support for employers and graduates will continue to be available through university careers services. Visit AGCAS – Information for recruiters.
- Advice is also available from the TUC.
- There are regional graduate recruitment systems or networks supported by England’s Regional Development Agencies (RDAs).
- Internocracy provides advice for graduates and employers about internship accessibility and quality.
- Information about internships and the status of volunteers can be found at Volunteering.org.uk
- Skillset provides guidelines for employers looking to offer Work Placements or internships in the creative industries
- The Arts Council’s guide to “Internships in the Arts” is a paper specifically relating to arts organisations who offer internships.
Call of the Wild specialise in graduate training and development with our courses such as creating future leaders, Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) courses, recruitment and assessment of graduates.